On Sleeping… Or Not Sleeping.

Although it is Jan Plan, a wonderful time of the year when Colby students only have to attend one course and time seems to be endless, I have found that I still have not been getting sufficient hours of sleep and it is an unfortunate sign for the second semester and my overall athletic performance!

I have never been one to sleep throughout the entire day. I hear of peers sleeping in until noon or longer and I am always surprised, wondering why they wasted a entire half of their day in bed instead of getting up and starting the day earlier. Even when school is not in session, my internal clock gets me up around 6:30am without fail, and most of the time, I’ve only been asleep for 6 hours at that point! Sometimes I think it’s a curse and other times I love it! When I reflect back on why I ended up going to bed so late in the first place, it’s often because of homework or studying. The times when it is not homework, it’s definitely Facebook, listening to music, catching up on shows that I haven’t seen in weeks, or just simply because I wasn’t tired before midnight. Regardless of the reason, I find that all of the options point right back at me!

Over winter break, I chatted with an acquaintance of mine who loved college and still knows all the ins and outs of everything about the college life. He advised me to start training myself to have better sleeping habits. In order to do this he recommended going to bed no later than 11pm every night and waking up whenever was necessary, but the key was to train my body to try and finish everything before 11pm. I have yet to pursue this challenge, but I think that it will prove beneficial when second semester rolls around! So, although I won’t be sleeping in until midday or beyond, I will make a conscious effort to truly get my 8 hours in most nights. No time to procrastinate or draw homework out longer than it should be. I’m going to go back to the good old days when my parents forced me to go to bed by 10pm! It might seem unrealistic but I know I can do it and I will thank myself when I do!

4 Responses to On Sleeping… Or Not Sleeping.

1. cwolfing cwolfing says:

I find myself with so much time but still not getting as much sleep as I should during Jan Plan! Like you, my body can not sleep in unless I am really sick. And I love it! But it is hard when everything in college goes on at night and you are forced to stay up later than your body would like… but still wake up so early. You’re on the right track trying to get your sleep patterns ready for second semester. I should do the same.

2. snowcts14 snowcts14 says:

Most of my friends make fun of me for going to sleep at 11:00, but that’s only because they don’t know how great it is to sleep for close to 8 hours every night. Research shows that college students need roughly 9 hours of sleep a night, and I can truly say that when I go to bed at 11 and get close to 9 hours of sleep I wake up feeling great! Good luck!

3. striva says:

Hey RockyMountaineer, I totally hear you about sleep. I am a Late Night person who wakes up as late as my body wants, but going to bed early is something I also strive to do! Seems like we’re all striving together on these kinds of things!