On Salad

I am a foodie.  I am an un-picky eater and love trying new or weird delicacies—pig face, ox tongue or duck embryo.  If the thing tastes good, I would like to eat it, or at least try it.  Still, I never considered things like if the food has nutrients, if it is a good choice for my body, or if it is healthy for me.  Instead, I was concerned about tastes.  I loved trying all kinds of tastes as long as they were good, to me, and did not really care for anything else.

This class has taught me to care about what I put into my body.  I have always appreciated my body for allowing me to exist in this reality, but I have never known the right way to take care of it, in this physical world.  This class has given me some basic pointers.  Being at Colby, it is easy for me to get consumed in the day-to-day college life—reading, writing, interacting, eating at dining halls, sleeping for little hours.  I never made time for taking care of my body.  I never made time to exercise, to stretch, or to move my body in the ways it was meant for moving.

In addition, at the dining halls, I rarely ate salads.   Instead, I would go for whatever was tastiest that day.  At Bob’s, maybe it was pizza.  At Dana, maybe it was a burger.  At Foss, maybe it was Lobster Tracks.  I rarely hit the salad bar because there were not as many tasty things they had to offer.  Or at least this is what I thought.

Since this class, I have been eating a salad—sometimes two salads—every day.  I have not missed this routine once except for one weekend I was away from Colby and ate other cuisines instead.  My friends helped me get accustomed to the leaves.  They suggested just olive oil on the carrots and snap peas, in order to appreciate the natural taste of the vegetables mixed with a slight olive oil flavor (not to mention the HDL’s).  They mixed quinoa into my spinach for an added delightful crunch.  They combined different dressings with oils and spun it through the leaves.

My new knowledge of food makes me appreciate food in new ways.  Any meal in which I consume, for example, vegetables, quinoa, soymilk, or granola, to me, they are no longer just vegetables, quinoa, soybeans, or granola, but vitamins, complete proteins, and whole grains.  This knowledge makes me feel good about eating in ways I truly never felt before!  I love salads more and more every day!  I have been treating my body kindly and my mind and spirit have responded correspondingly.  This class has done for me many things, but one of my favorites is my new love for salad!

2 Responses to On Salad

1. froglady froglady says:

Great discoveries for you! I have to have some greens at least once/day and I wish I had an indoor garden!

Awesome! so happy to hear this!