Satisfactory Wins

For tomorrow, for those of us in the Monday/Thursday lab section, we had to complete a Pre-Lab Assignment discussing gene doping, and it got me thinking about doping in general.  You could say that I am a purist.  I do not believe in doping in any sense of the word, in fact, I dislike taking medicine in general, simply because I want to test the limits of my body (which yes, I admit, can be crazy).  I believe that half of the fun of sports is testing the limits of your body and testing yourself to see how far you really can go.  Doping takes the fun out of it.  There is something aiding your body, enhancing your performance, and it isn’t simply you performing well, it is the effects of the drugs.

I do understand that there is a drive to be the best athlete, that many people want to reach the top, and doping could be an easy way to get there.  I mean, look at Lance Armstrong, he reached the top in a very large way, and it took 10 years to discover that he had done so in an illegal way.  Perhaps, to some athletes, this is an attractive way of reaching that level of performance.  It is true that there is satisfaction and joy in being at the top, and knowing that you are the best.  It is also true, that the drugs are not doing everything, that it is still necessary for the athletes to be pretty incredible, but it is still not quite the same, and in my head, I still cannot seem to wrap my head around the idea of doping.

It is my belief that athletes should want to “play true” as this picture suggests.  Gene doping is on the same page as doping in any other sense.  I think that it may be fair to test for certain genes to see where the athlete may best perform, but any further is unfair and athletes should not have the desire to improve their performance in this way.  I feel as though it would be unsatisfactory to win a race and knowing that you have cheated by doping in any sense.  It is disappointing to know that there are athletes out there who are so greedy that they will go to such extents to win.

This entry was posted in Exercise Physiology, Week 3. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Satisfactory Wins

1. Gabrielle Donahue bballqueen says:

I completely agree. I believe a true competitor takes pride in winning when they know it was 100% up to their fate, their body, their mind and their own mental toughness. I think cheating by doping is the most disgusting crime an athlete can commit and parallels cheating on an exam. How can an athlete revel in their glory of a victory in front of hundreds or thousands of fans when they know they are lying to themselves.