Finding Homeostasis

In this class we’ve talked a lot about homeostasis, looking at how different body systems work together to maintain it and how we as athletes, energy consumers and users can help make this easier for the body.  This got me thinking though, how can we maintain homeostasis in our lives too? One of my favorite parts from today’s lecture by the Nordic Ski coach, were her thoughts on Sports Psychology. Instead of lumping her athletes into one group, expecting all to react the same way to a workout or other stresses she focused on treating them as individual human beings.  Now, don’t get me wrong, we all have times when we just do not feel like doing a workout and need someone to get in our face and make us do it. We are here at Colby however, as people first and athletes second. Finding that homeostasis between athletics, academics and social life is huge in D3 sports, but also something that is easily forgotten.

I found it refreshing (and impressive) that she paid so much attention to the needs of each athlete and worked to improve her techniques so that she could create the best program possible for each individual.  I am confident that the student athletes who she described as not being the best skiers on the team but who often preformed better after being told that they were talented skiers, preformed better because of that confidence.  Ultimately it isn’t about getting the confidence from others, but finding it within yourself and believing that you can do it.  Confidence found in sports is not something that just goes away either.  Instead, it can affect all other aspects of your life and teach you to find you limits and find success.  This is what a great coach does, helps you find the drive within yourself to excel and be the best that you can be at your sport and in life.  If only all coaches were all that way.