Dieting Vs. Exercising

Media almost everywhere encourages females to be thinner and males to be more toned. To go along with the near-impossible to achieve, abnormal physique, new diets are created to try and help one get that way. Most of the diets are geared towards eating fewer calories. While there are some diets that may be beneficial towards certain people, I don’t understand why people just can’t start exercising more! Yes, eating more healthy will help you loose even more weight, but I just can’t fathom why someone would give up delicious and nutritious food so they can look thinner, when in reality they can do the same thing by working out more and still eating yummy foods.

Today I signed onto my Yahoo account and there was this article that stated it had 19 ways to cut 100 calories a day.  I’m not sure who created this “diet”, but it doesn’t seem to make much sense. For example, it says to switch out olive oil with parmesan cheese, to save 85 calories, when we learned that olive oil has essential amino acids. The next example is to save 280 calories by switching out a bagel for an English muffin, which is an unfair trade because it won’t fill you up nearly as much. There was at least one good suggestion, which was too loose the wrap for sandwiches and burritos because it won’t add too much nutritional value and to use corn instead of flour tortillas.

So while I understand some of their suggestions, most of their ideas only considered the calories rather than looking at other necessary nutrients like protein, fats and carbohydrates. I think the best way to loose weight is to eat a balanced meal and exercise! Eating a balanced meal does not mean cutting out everything you love; rather you can eat everything in moderation and in good proportions. That with aerobic exercise six times a week will help your heart, mood, and overall lifestyle! Some people don’t live in areas where they can run outdoors every day, but there are many alternatives like swimming, biking, indoor classes, and even exercises you can do in your own living room. Most students at Colby do not need to be given a lecture about exercising; as we stated in our first class, everyone is a relatively healthy individual. But with the obesity rates rising in the U.S., food education needs to start at an early age, and should be accompanied with the importance of exercise. I really appreciate the Got Milk? slogans and other media revolving around athletes and healthy foods. I hope there is more to come rather than focusing on how skinny a girl should be and what jeans the latest diet will get you to fit into.

Here is this diet:

http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/18-beyond-easy-ways-cut-slideshow/-photo-2565824-224100086.html

This entry was posted in Exercise Physiology, Week 4. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Dieting Vs. Exercising

1. No eggs says:

I think you made a good point early on in your blog:

“Yes, eating more healthy will help you loose even more weight, but I just can’t fathom why someone would give up delicious and nutritious food so they can look thinner, when in reality they can do the same thing by working out more and still eating yummy foods.”

Dieting is certainly a good compliment to exercise, but it is not enough on its own to cause significant weight loss. The only way to lose weight is by exercising. This is because as you give your body fewer calories, your metabolism slows down as your body adapts to receiving fewer calories. I don’t know why the body does this (not sure if anyone does) but I’m pretty sure it’s just an adaptation that we picked up thousands of years ago as a survival mechanism. So yes, dieting is good, but exercise is more important when trying to lose weight.

2. clapperclawed-champ says:

Many diets encorage ways to reduce body fat. This is a way to both make girls appear thinner and guys more toned. This is what people generally want to achive as far as a physical result but as this diet is not balenced between carbohydrates, protiens and fats, this diet does not result in a toned “batman body” as the diet suggests. Instead this is only the diet presented in the comics and fans should have a more balanced diet.