An Ommm of Emotions

While doing yoga this morning, I realized that some days I feel very in tune with my body, and other days I can’t seem to get the positions correct.  I wondered why that was, then realized that some days I can completely immerse myself in the practice while other days my mind is on the daily stresses of life such as exams, studying, relationship issues, and my two jobs.  The only time that I feel completely in touch with my emotions, relaxed, and powerful is when I completely clear my mind and live in the moment.  Other exercises don’t require copious amounts of focus like yoga, as I can do curls without much thought.  Apparently, I am not the only person who thinks this way.

I found an article online written by an “emotional exerciser” named ZaKaiRan.  He believes in the connection of mind with body and soul through exercise.  He argues that the first step in releasing emotions through exercise is to allow the body to move in any way it desires, whether it be by writhing on the floor or just laying down and letting the emotions flow through your body.  The next step in his exercise plan is to use sounds to accompany your emotions without any movement.  According to ZaKaiRan, there are three emotions: anger, sadness, and happiness.  Each emotion will elicit a different sound from you, and those sounds should be let out freely.  The sounds should not be forced.  Once this has been mastered, the two can be put together into movement and sound, making sure to freely express your body through movement and emotions through sound.  It is not until movement and sound have been mastered together that ZaKaiRan adds in the “advanced” exercises.

ZaKaiRan now encourages the emotional exerciser to try walking.  The exerciser’s gait should coincide with the emotions that he/she is feeling, no matter how odd it may appear.  Sounds should flow freely out of the exerciser in this exercise as well.  Finally, ZaKaiRan adds yoga into the mix for another advanced exercise.  He believes that although yoga is generally a silent meditative exercise, sounds should be allowed to exit the exerciser in connection with the different muscle groups that are being stretched or worked.  Each muscle and exercise will have a different sound that the exerciser’s body will naturally want to let out.

Although I have skipped the first four critical steps of ZaKaiRan’s emotional exercise plan, I do agree that yoga is an exercise that deeply connects your mind with your body and soul.  Even though I am doing power yoga instead of silent, meditative yoga, I still find it necessary to completely clear my mind and be in touch with every aspect of my being to succeed and feel fully renewed with yoga.