Breakfast, for a change

I didn’t usually eat breakfast until very recently.  During Janplan, I’ve probably gone to breakfast more times than I did the entire fall semester.  Part of this may be due to the fact that Foss is open for breakfast now (meaning I don’t have to leave the building) but I like to think that I’ll continue this into the spring semester.  Maybe when it gets warmer out I’ll make the walk to Dana in the morning.

I know everyone always calls breakfast the most important meal of the day, but I never really bought into it.  When I wake up, the last thing I’m thinking about is food.  I’m tired and all I want to do is go back to sleep.  When I finally do get up, I’m much more concerned with showering, getting ready, etc. than I am about breakfast.  “I’m not even hungry,” I always say to myself.  “I can wait until lunch.”

I don’t even know why I started going to breakfast during Janplan.  Admittedly, it probably has something to do with the fact that we talked about nutrition in class.  But I think it’s mostly because I was unusually hungry one morning.  Anyways, I went to breakfast and had a bowl of yogurt with a couple of scoops of nuts (from the ice cream area) mixed in and a glass of skim milk.  I’ve been eating more or less that same meal each day during Janplan, but I’ve also been adding in a couple of whole grain bread with peanut butter.  I’m no nutrition expert (as shown by my earlier post talking about goldfish) but this does seem like a pretty healthy meal to me.  The yogurt is either low-fat or fat-free, I can’t remember.  I will only drink skim milk, which I believe is healthier.  Also, whole milk is think and tastes disgusting.  Whole grain bread is obviously healthy, and (I think/hope) peanut butter and the nuts I put in my yogurt aren’t bad either.  Someone might comment and tell me that I’m wrong and that what I’m eating is not healthy, and I hope that if someone does, it will make me look for healthier options.  I can’t guarantee that though, especially if someone says something about the yogurt.  Seriously, try it, it’s so good.yogurt-calcium-lg[1]

3 Responses to Breakfast, for a change

1. BSPROUTFI3ND BSPROUTFI3ND says:

That’s awesome that you’re eating breakfast! It really is a healthy practice and a great routine to get in to. To be honest, I have a hard time understanding those who say they are not thinking about breakfast when they wake up. The first thoughts that come to my head when I open my eyes in the morning are usually “omelet…pancake…grapefruit…” Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. After not having eaten for 12-13 hrs, it’s essential that we refuel before starting the day. I also just love pancakes.

One thing you might want to consider adding to your breakfast is a piece of fruit. Maybe chop a banana into your yogurt. The combo of yogurt and banana is delicious and you’ll get that potassium boost!

2. Jbreeeezy says:

I’m in the same boat. I just recently began to eat breakfast regularly. Maybe it’s just me, i feel more alert and focused when i do find the time to eat breakfast.

3. Paleogirl Paleogirl says:

I am very much in agreement about how I feel when I get up out of bed- tired, groggy, and usually not thinking about food. I don’t necessarily subscribe to the belief that it is essential to eat breakfast; it really depends on what you will be doing that morning. If I have a class that morning, or am working out, I will absolutely force myself to eat breakfast since I know my brain and my body will need it. If it is a weekend, however, I usually will wait until I am hungry. I trust my body very much to let me know when it does and does not need food, and I’m not sure it is particularly healthy to “force” yourself to eat when you aren’t hungry. That is why I typically do not eat three meals a day- I will snack on and off when my body says it needs fuel, which many health experts agree is more healthy. I can’t blame this good habit on myself though! I really started doing it because I am hypoglycemic and often cannot wait the period between meals.