The Easiest Way to Improve Performance

As a child I always resented my 8:00pm bedtime. It wasn’t fair, I thought, that I had to go to bed earlier than any of my friends, who consistently stayed up until 9:00 or 10:00. To make matters worse, it was downright embarrassing to tell my friends that I didn’t see any of the football game the night before because it started after my bedtime. This is why, at the start of 7th grade, I decided that enough was enough and I convinced my parents to let me stay up later. Still, I continued to hear from them all of the clichés about the importance of rest, but, being the rebellious middle school student that I was, I chose to ignore them.

This rebellious phase continued through the start of my high school career, but it came at a heavy price. During my freshman fall, the Red Sox made a late season run and surged to a World Series championship, and I felt obligated to stay awake until the end of each play-off game. Considering that the Red Sox tend to have a flare for the dramatic, this meant staying up close to midnight several times a week. When I awoke at 6:00am the first game, I was already at least 3 hours behind on sleep. By the end of the play-offs, I was probably close to 35 hours in sleep-debt.

Still, it was not until I ran the mile in gym a few days later that I realized what I was doing to myself. After the race (because of my competitiveness I considered it one) I became very delirious and unable to concentrate. About an hour later a migraine came; my head was screaming at me to let it rest. A trip to the nurse ensued, and after asking a series of questions she determined the cause of my ailment to be chronic fatigue. At that point, I realized my mom was right all along, and that I was underestimating the importance of sleep.

At the start of this course I revisited the idea of the importance of sleep. I did a bit of research, and stumbled upon a study conducted by Stanford University about the effects of sleep on collegiate athletes. The results were astonishing: well-rested test subjects were found to swim a 15 meter race 0.51 seconds faster than their sleep deprived counterparts. Further, because the well-rested subjects got off the blocks an average of 0.15 seconds faster, they may have won the race as soon as it started. These results are not exclusive to swimming either. If one considers the effects that sleep has on reaction time, it becomes obvious that it plays a role in all sports.

Here are some interesting links:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080609071106.htm

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/importance_of_sleep_and_health

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-3939721.html

Sometimes the best way to improve performance is simple to rest. Eight to nine hours a night can really make a huge difference.

4 Responses to The Easiest Way to Improve Performance

1. spondy12 says:

In high school I realized I wan’t as naturally gifted as some other athletes so I made an effort to do the little things to get an edge, like sleep 9 hours a night. I still try hard to get enough sleep these days, but in college I’ve found that it’s easier said than done!

2. clapperclawed-champ says:

I’ve noticed that one of the hardest parts of college for me is to stay on top of my sleep. Too often I find myself in a sleep deficit after a late night or two of work or studying which leaves me groggy for the next couple of days. This problem is especially pronounced for me around the time in the semester when all of the classes seems to have mid-terms at once. With so much to do in college, sleep seems to get lost in the mix despite it being so important both athletically and academically. I for me to stay well rested, I really have to force myself not to procrastinate and to nap occasionally.

3. froglady froglady says:

Likewise, I’m the nag about bedtime. I am familiar with the studies that show that sleep helps the cognitive brain, and it’s great to also know the benefits to athletic performance.

Nice! I just read this post aloud to my kids. I am exactly like your mom!!!