Manti Te’o….Why????

Today some information has been leaked to the public that many are having trouble grasping including myself. Here is some background for those who do not pay attention to college football.

Manti Te’O is a senior and plays linebacker for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. He is of Hawaiin decent and is a monster of a player. In his three seasons as starting linebacker he recorded 100 tackles in each. However, at the beginning of this season, he had two major losses in his personal life. On the morning of September 12th Te’o was notified that his grandmother that he loved had passed away. Later that afternoon, he heard his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, a student at Stanford, had passed away after a long battle with leukemia. On September 15th, he lead the Irish to a surprise victory over Michigan State with an astounding 12 tackles. From there he emerged as one of the best defensive players in the country, getting second in the Heisman voting, receiving many other awards, and being an expected first round draft pick for the NFL. He also lead his team to an undefeated regular season and a trip to the National Championship, where they were steamrolled by Alabama. Everyone respected him so much because he said he was doing it all in honor of his lost loved ones, and Lennay wanted him to succeed in football for her.

BOOM! Today it was released that after lots of research, it turns out the person Lennay Kekua did not exist. Like at all. Many believe she was made up by a family friend of Te’o, and that Manti was in on it as a publicity stunt. There was a twitter page for her and her “sister,” both using pictures other people have come out and claimed are of themselves posted on Facebook and Instagram. I do not want to say too much information cause I do not want to be accussed of saying the wrong thing, so here is the link with the article that informed me of all this:

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

If you are interested you can read up on all this yourself. Many, including myself, are shocked that Te’o would feel the need to do this to hit the national football scene instead of letting his abilities do the talking like most other players. Te’o is now claiming that he has been set-up in this hoax and admits that he never met Lennay. He claims that he was falling in love with a girl he met online and thought he was getting to know, but instead was getting caught up in someone’s sick joke. I’m not sure if I belive it, and it doesn’t seem many people are. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out, but like the title says……why???

1 Response to Manti Te’o….Why????

1. spondy12 says:

I heard about this earlier and was very confused. I’m interested in hearing more about this because the parts of this story just don’t add up. If he didn’t know that she didn’t exist, how did he fall for this? And if he was in on the hoax, why would he tell people that she is dying of cancer while his grandmother truly was terminally ill? Some athletes may exaggerate or fabricate stories about an opponent as a motivational factor, but if that Te’o was using it for motivation why didn’t he just keep it to himself?