A Liquid Diet at Colby, Doable or Disaster?

From a young age I have been told that my lower jaw was out of place. It is too far forward and, until braces, resulted in a severe underbite. Braces brought my bite to normal range for a few months, but even wearing a retainer did not keep my jaw from regressing. My bite is now such that my teeth are all on top of one another, and my teeth do not even meet on the left side at all. This creates a lot of stress on the left side of my jaw and makes me very susceptible to sprains, such as the one I just received over Christmas break while sleeping in the car. It is now very painful to open my mouth, move my jaw at all, and chew. The dentist told me these types of sprains can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months depending on how much it is used. I intend to make it better as soon as possible, so I am changing two parts of my daily routine: my exercise and my diet.

In terms of exercise, part of my regimen for January was to run. As this is a high impact activity, it could be harmful to my sprain and I will be removing that from my routine. This is not a large problem, because I can still achieve both anaerobic and aerobic goals through the elliptical and bike machines.

The real problem for me is the diet portion. As chewing not only hurts but also causes further pulling on my sprained muscle, I must engage in a liquid diet to further healing. I already have a BMI of 18.9, just above the underweight limit, so I cannot afford to be losing weight, as generally happens with liquid diets. Since it is for a prolonged period of time, I also must be absolutely certain that I am not lacking in vital nutrients because this could cause serious health problems.

At home, it is not difficult at all to sustain a liquid diet and get the nutrients I need. I can make soup and eat Isagenix protein shakes (which also supply calcium), however I can also eat these at Colby. The real reason it helps to be home is because of the magical “green drink” we have discovered. It looks disgusting, but tastes wonderful and provides a lot of nutrients that I wouldn’t otherwise receive from my protein shakes and soups. The ingredient list is as follows: kale, spinach, macadamia nuts, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, protein powder, vitamin C powder, and probiotics. Below is a picture of me with the “green drink” while at my house this weekend.

The challenge, however, is trying to figure out what I can do while at Colby to ensure I do not become deficient in some nutrients, as I do not have a blender that is strong enough to mix all of those ingredients and also do not have those ingredients readily available (although going to the store is an option). My options now, as it stands, are basically soup of whatever variety is available in the dining hall, and my Isagenix protein shakes. It is also important to note that I am on the Paleo diet, so I am avoiding carbohydrates. This takes away options like pasta and rice that may be somewhat manageable to consume without chewing. Given this situation, what would you do if you were in my shoes? How would you possibly keep yourself from losing weight and becoming deficient in essential nutrients during this extended period of time? Any advice is greatly welcomed!

photo-3

1 Response to A Liquid Diet at Colby, Doable or Disaster?

With a good blender, you can liquify pretty much everything (I know this from the biochem lab, but I’ll spare you the details). I think it would be worth the investment for you!