A healthy snack?

I was snacking on some goldfish the other day, and thinking about nutrition, which we’ve been discussing in class, I decided to look at the nutrition facts.  I was surprised by what I saw.  I never thought of goldfish as a healthy snack, but what I saw in the nutrition facts seemed pretty healthy.  One serving (55 goldfish, a pretty good portion) had 5 grams of fat, 4 grams unsaturated.  It also had a couple (can’t remember the exact number) grams of protein, and a bunch (28?) of grams of carbs, 0 of which came from sugar.  This all added up to about 140 calories.  I didn’t look very closely at the vitamins and minerals nutrition facts, so I can’t remember what the goldfish had.  Still, this seems pretty healthy to me.  Unsaturated fat and carbs that aren’t simple sugar are both healthy.  It makes me wonder if there is something that I’m not getting.  Do I have to look at more than just those facts to decide if something is healthy?  Is it more important to look at the ingredients, or do those nutrition facts alone tell me that the snack is healthy?  It seems to me that there must be something that I am missing.  I hope I’m wrong, and if I am, I’m going to start snacking on goldfish a lot more from now on!

2 Responses to A healthy snack?

They’re not really that bad…daycares give them to kids all the time as “healthy” snacks. Crackers with more fiber (like Triscuits) are better, but you could do worse.

2. kbox2015 says:

Sometimes the nutrition label will seem really great, but then the ingredients aren’t that hot. I know a lot of snacks that look good until you find out that they have corn syrup, dyes, and other bad ingredients. I know that goldfish have yellow dyes in them, but I’m not sure about the rest of the ingredients. Good luck!