“Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands, they just don’t.”

I come from a family of six, the youngest of four very different kids who have taken their lives to places around the globe and homes just blocks away from where we grew up.  The artistic and whacky brother living in Italy, the lawyer in California, the real estate agent sister in Oregon and me, the annoying and spoiled youngest child.  The four of us haven’t always gotten along and to say that there were some rough years would be an understatement but as silly as it sounds, the thing that has always been able to bring us together and calm us down is exercise.  If we fought at dinner or in the car on the way home my parents would stop the car about a mile from the house and make us run home.  Family vacations never involved lying on a beach or by the pool, instead we hiked, skied, swam or biked our way everywhere we went.  My favorite memories growing up happened at the bottom of the slopes of Mt. Bachelor or looking out onto Crater Lake out of breath and exhausted. At home we easily found fault with each other, but when Dad pulled out the celebratory pack of Peanut M&Ms after a long bike ride, the endorphins were running high and no one was fighting. These days, our parents haven’t threatened to make us run home from dinner in years, but that doesn’t mean our routines have changed. Even this past Christmas as we all returned home for the holidays, not a day went by when we didn’t go for a family hike or have an impromptu game of soccer and just like that we easily had something in common again.

(Just in case the title doesn’t make sense http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjrBdKXgYFY).

1 Response to “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands, they just don’t.”

This post cracks me up. I always say that instead of punishing kids in elementary school by making them stay in for recess, they should make them run to get out their bad energy!