Fighting lazybone syndrome

After nearly gluing myself to a Miller cubicle during all of finals week, I made a promise to myself to change my sedentary lifestyle and go for a run (or do some sort of athletic-related activity) every single day of winter break.  I was excited.  I made schedules.  I packed up all of my cute workout clothes.  I bought a new headband.  But then winter break rolled around and woops, I had to get lunch with Jen so no run today.  Then, gosh darn it, I had a dentist appointment so those push-ups would not be happening.  Oh no, Home Alone marathon on ABC family???  Yeah, no way was that trail run going down.

And so on.  I think you get the point.  Things kept popping up, I kept saying “let me do this now, then I’ll run later,” and then later would never come.  I worked out a total of 4 times over all of winter break.  For me, that is pretty poor.  Between that and all of the Christmas cookies I ate, I felt awful.

I have always been pretty athletic, and I particularly enjoy going for long runs.  Usually, I average around 30 miles a week, plus other sorts of physical activity like running stairs, doing Tabata or yoga, and going to the gym.  But, for whatever reason, I was in total couch potato mode.  I avoided my running shoes like the plague, and then made excuses about being sooo busy.  (Reality: I spent most of my break sitting on my butt)

Those 4 times I did actually get myself to get outside, I felt great.  During my runs I would tell myself how amazing I felt and scold myself for not realizing sooner that this was really all I needed.  Exercise visibly effects my mood, to such a degree that when I am particularly grouchy, my parents always ask me if I’ve gone for a run yet that day.  I never regretted getting outside and running over winter break.  But then, the next day, when it was time to go for my run, I found myself once again making excuses and hiding behind my Chelsea Handler book (which was seriously good).  What was with that?  I still can’t figure it out.  I just had zero motivation.

Fast forward to Jan plan.  Yesterday, I told myself I really, really, really should go for a run.  I even took the time to put on lots of layers of running clothes.  Then, two hours later, my friend found me asleep in bed with my full running get-up on.  Once again, I was frustrated with myself.  After I decided it was too late for a run, I went to dinner with my friend and told her about my predicament.  She suggested that perhaps I had plateaued with running.  In her words: “your body is probably just really bored of that stuff.”  Maybe she has a point about my body, but I know for a fact that my mind still loves running.  It craves it and fantasizes about it all the time.

So, what is a runner girl to do?  Do I suck it up, strap on some running shoes, and just force myself to get back into the groove of things?  Or do I take my friend’s advice, give up on running, and start exploring other options?

5 Responses to Fighting lazybone syndrome

1. Paleogirl Paleogirl says:

Ever since I stopped dancing my sophomore year of high school, I have come across this same problem. Although I was on sports teams, I always seemed to lose all of my stamina the time in-between seasons because of lack of motivation. I DO find however, that two tricks work very well for me. The first is simply a benefit of attending Colby: so many people are athletic. If you can make it to the gym, you see so many hard working people that were determined and accomplished their fitness goals. It is incredibly inspiring, especially for people that find it hard to get motivated. It also will bring out your competitive side and make you want to be as good as them or as “fit” as them. The second trick for me is to set a goal of a number of times to work out a week (or any goal really) and if you meet that goal, reward yourself with something at the end of the week (I generally prefer something sweet…). It takes willpower, however, if you did not accomplish the goals or came close, to say no to the reward. It works magic for me though because I am on a limited carb diet that sweets are not a part of usually! I hope these tricks may work for you as well!

2. cwolfing cwolfing says:

Haha I enjoyed reading your post. Mostly because I can totally relate! I’ve played sports my whole life and still do here at Colby, so I’m forced to exercise everyday. But if I wasn’t… jeesh it would not be good. That’s why when vacations come around and there’s no one forcing me to do anything I give myself similar excuses to yours and it really effects me.. only in negative ways! Whenever I’m in off seasons I like to go buy new workout clothes or shoes too, thinking it will motivate me to workout.. It works for a few days. What gets me off those streaks with no exercise is the grumpiness I get from not working out. I hate it. It also makes me really tired when I don’t workout- which is really weird! I saw this quote over break that made me giggle and inspired me to get my butt back in the gym.. “someone busier than you is running right now.”

3. Hattrix11 Hattrix11 says:

I agree, if that’s the first thing you plan on doing every morning there is almost no excuse. I always came up with the “I just ate so I should probably wait a couple hours” excuse so it is good to get it done and have the whole day ahead of you.
    Running is something you can do for the rest of your life (for the most part) so it’s not something you can give up on now! If it makes you happy then do it!
    I heard it takes ten days to make a habit and three days to break. If you get back on your regular routine of running all the time you’ll remember why you started in the first place. And if all the time is too much, and makes you bored, then incorporate some of the other activities you mentioned. You can ease back into it with at least one active activity a day. Whether it is ten push ups or ten minutes of running starting now is your best bet.
    Maybe your body was tired, but it had its break, so I think it is time to get back into the sneakers and hit the road. Like you said, you won’t regret it! The pros are endless!
    Good luck!

4. I honestly think that the problem here is that your body gets used to always doing the same thing. Being on the track team, I learned very early on that the goal is to always trick your muscles. Every day we do something different; we work different muscle groups, for instance. In addition, I like to do a lot of cross training. On the weekends I might go hiking, biking, skiing, fishing, etc. Please don’t quit running. I totally understand where you’re coming from. I was abroad for a semester and unfortunately where I was, I couldn’t really do any kind of training since there’s no track anywhere. All I could do was spin on a bike. It became extremely tediouis and I often got lazy and became a couch potato myself, because essentially my body was “bored” with it. I tried to do core and pushups, but it just wasn’t enougy. And since I was living in a city it was nererly impossible to do the hiking and other activities that I like to do. So I completely understand. However, my best idea for you is to keep running when you can, but do something totally different every now and then. I bet you’ll get more energy and wont feel the need to make excuses anymore.

I have found that if I run right when I get up, there’s no time to make excuses. JUST DON’T SLEEP THROUGH YOUR ALARM!!!