BCS Game Couldn’t Handle The Expectations

The other night there was a very large football game, the BCS National Championship game. This game is supposed to have the top two Division I college football teams in the nation face each other in a very competitive battle. However, this year this did not seem to be the case. The highly anticipated competition between #1 Notre Dame and #2 Alabama was not all it was expected to be.

This was apparent from the very first drive of the game. Alabama got the ball first and ran it down the throats of the “ever-powerful” Notre Dame defense (I am a Michigan fan so parts of this article may seem biased). After Alabama running back broke free from the clasps of the defense and trotted in for a touchdown with ease, many people started having lower hopes for the game. These low hopes were verified after the second Bama touchdown that occurred through the air shortly after. Myself, my hopes resulted in the game being turned off at halftime with the score 35-0 Alabama ahead.

There were two very interesting things that I got out of this game. One of these things is the reoccurring power that the Alabama running backs have. Eddie Lacy had the incredible ability of not just running for many yards, but running for many yards after contact. In essence, he was actually running through people. This power is not comparable to any of the other college running backs that I have watched play this year. And the craziest part is that Lacy is not a peculiar case for Alabama. They have a long history of powerful running backs ranging from last year’s star Trent Richardson and older running back Shaun Alexander who both got lots of success in the NFL. This makes me wonder how Alabama consistently repeats history with these backs. Do they do something different with their training? An old method that not one else has figured out? Or do they just recruit the perfect style running back to fit their program year after year? They may have found the key to gaining the best power results out of their players. Whatever it is they have consistently done a good job, shown by their recent successes at the BCS game. The last bit that I found interesting was how much the commentators were loving AJ McCarron’s girlfriend when the camera panned on her in the crowd. She is attractive, but it was getting out of hand how much they were complimenting her. Towards the end of my viewing I was just waiting for one of them to say something that would get them in a whole lot of trouble. Wouldn’t want to miss that.

2 Responses to BCS Game Couldn’t Handle The Expectations

1. No eggs says:

Well first of all, AJ McCarron’s girlfriend deserved every bit of love that she got. She is absolutely gorgeous. I thought the twitter post from Georgia QB Aaron Murray after the game was particularly funny. He said something about how AJ’s girlfriend should become a Bulldogs fan. McCarron tweeted back saying that Murray and his Bulldogs didn’t win enough games this year for that…ouch! Regarding your question about Alabama running backs, you should remember that Alabama is one of the best programs in the country, and any recruit who is looking for a shot at a national title and the NFL has to consider Alabama a top choice. So yes, they do recruit the best running backs. But what is the true reason for all the success? It’s gotta be the offensive line. Look at Alabama’s starting line this year:

LT Cyrus Kouandijo
    LG Chance Warmack
    C Barrett Jones
    RG Anthony Steen
    RT D.J. Fluker

Warmack and Jones are first round picks this year. The other 3 will be first or second round picks when they enter the draft in upcoming years. Watching the game, it was clear that my Notre Dame front 7 couldn’t get a push on these guys. They pretty much dominated the line of scrimmage, which is the number one way to win football games. Now what makes their offensive line so dominant (other than huge recruiting advantages) is more of a mystery, as current O-line coach Jeff Stoutland has only been there since 2011.

2. I think that the Alabama running backs are consistently great because of a combination of everything you mentioned. I think that it has a lot to do with the recruiting, training, and coaching. Nick Saban knows exactly the type of guy he wants in the backfield and the training necessary to take him to the highest level of competition.

Also, I felt that after Alabama was up 35, the story about McCarron and his girlfriend going to rival schools was more interesting than the actual game.